Bibliography & Glossary

Wilner, Eli & Co. Inc. The Art of the Frame.
"American Frames 1820-1920." 18 minutes. New York: 1991.

Back Edge – the outermost section of the frame from the art.

Enrichment – an embellishment of carved or composition element.

Fillet – a narrow flat section used between rows of larger ornament.

Flat panel – a wide flat section of the frame common in such frame
styles as the cassetta or box frame.

Frieze – a flat panel between raised moldings, occasionally decorated.

Hollow – a concave section often appearing next to the back edge
as well as the front. See COVE.

Molding – the shaped profile or outline of the frame.
Moldings can be rectilinear, curved and composite curved (ogee).
A frame may have several sections of molding combined.

Ogee – a molding featuring the combination of convex and concave
lines in a S-shape.

Rail – where the top edge of the frame curves in from the edges.

Rabbet (Rebate) – a recessed area beneath the sight edge into which the art is fitted.

Reverse – a frame where the molding slopes away from the sight edge.

Running pattern – decoration that runs continuously around a frame.

Cove (Scoop) – a large concave hollow sloping towards the sight edge.

Profile (Section) – a cross section of the frame showing
the shape (contours) and arrangement of elements.

Sight edge – the innermost section of the frame that borders the artwork.

Slip (Flat liner) – a flat liner inserted into the rabbet of a
frame to accommodate a painting to a particular frame.

Spandrel – a shaped liner made to accommodate oval or circular
art placed in a rectangular frame.

Top edge – the element of the frame that projects the furthest
toward the viewer.